Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Sewing

I started sewing when  I was 10.  My mother taught me on her little Singer Featherweight.   I still have her Featherweight.

In high school I sewed most of my clothes- not the jeans, but all of the other clothes I wore.

When the kids were little I sewed for them.  Especially at Halloween.  My kids never had store bought costumes!   One day I will scan pictures of their costumes!

I watched my two grand nieces for 8 years total.  One since she was almost two and the other almost from birth.   I loved sewing and knitting for them!  What a lot of fun!

When Courtney was home for Christmas, she saw some of the dresses I had made for the girls and she asked me if I could sew something for her like that.  So I did.

Here's the dress I finished last week- Courtney got it in the mail today:



The old hippie's younger hippie daughter!


When Courtney was in third grade, she came home one day and told me that she was going to be Martha Washington in her class play.  She needed a costume/ dress by the end of the week.  So I dragged the kids to the fabric store and bought the fabric that looked the most like what she should have at the cheapest price I could find.  I was probably hugely pregnant with Austin at the time.  I don't recall what her lines were, but I do remember how I cried when I heard her speaking and sounding so confident and grown up.  My little girl.  And now she really is grown up!

 Here's Courtney as Martha Washington :



 

No comments:

Post a Comment