Friday, October 31, 2014

Trick or Treat

I am sitting here at my keyboard thinking of all the Halloween costumes that I have made over the years.   Courtney had a Strawberry Shortcake costume that my mom bought for her in 1983- the year we moved to Reston.  If I think about it, that was only her second Halloween in the US- the first being in 1978 when she was 8 months old.

Aside from that one commercial costume, all five kids wore home made Halloween costumes.   October was always a crazy, busy time for me.  Doing all of my usual mom stuff, plus making costumes.   I  am pretty sure I have them all in a Rubbermaid container in the basement.  

Even in Australia I made costumes.   Then,we came back to the States and   I sewed fewer and fewer costumes.  When I was down to making costumes for only two kids, it hit me really hard.   I felt so lost and sort of blue.   My babies were growing up.  Another step towards their independence.  

Then, no more costume making.  For the kids at least.  Nick and I have gone to a couple of costume optional parties.  Ours are home made, but not necessarily home sewn.

I don't seem to have a lot of pictures of costumes in my computer.  I know I have a lot needing to be scanned.

I think that this will be our first year without a real pumpkin.   We bought a plastic one at Target.  It has a face carved into it and also has a little light.  No pumpkin guts.  No pumpkin smell in the kitchen.

I am going to place a few pictures of our past pumpkins- recent past.

I have one cousin with a Halloween birthday, one Halloween grandniece turning 8 today,  and now another relative- another cousin's grandson was born today!

Trick or Treat!

Pumpkin manicure

Obama

UU Chalice

Democrat/ Pumpkin
2014 Pumpkin















No comments:

Post a Comment