Thursday, October 9, 2014

Recovering from brain surgery

I find it hard to believe that less than 4 months ago I had brain surgery.  My skull was cut open and my tumor was removed.  I woke up wearing a gauze turban/ bandage.  My head was full of staples.  I had needles and tubes and monitors all over the place.   And I survived.

I feel so much better than I did before surgery with the constant headache.  My throat is mostly better.

I just feel like my old self.   It's hard, I am not really my old self, yet.   I do things, go to the gym, drive around, shop, see people. work a little.

I am so used to being really energized by all the running around and business.   Now, I feel energized when I start out, but I find that I tire out pretty easily.

Monday I spent the day in D.C at a workshop.  Learning how to use an IPod among other things.   I took the Metro from Reston to Foggy Bottom on the Silver Line.  That's the first time I have done that.  It's amazing to look down and see all of the traffic crawling by on Rt.66 as we fly along!  After getting home (also on the Silver Line), I went to the chiropractor.  I had plans to go to dinner with my sister, but by then I was totally exhausted and couldn't do anything.

Tuesday morning I went to the dentist and got my teeth cleaned.   I was going to take a class at the gym called "Silver Sneakers"- for us senior citizens.  I couldn't do it.  I was so tired and head-achy.  I felt like I was coming down with a cold.   So I rested for the rest of the day.

I have learned a new term/ expression since being diagnosed with a meningioma.  "Barometric Head"   A lot of us meningioma folks seem to get them.  It is a fullness that feels a bit like the beginnings of a sinus infection or a really bad cold.  It happens when the weather is changing and the barometric pressure is changing too.  It's not very fun, but at least it is temporary  Needless to say, Tuesday I stayed at home all day.

Today I made a house call.  I went to see a mother and baby I had helped last week.  The mom looked so much happier and relaxed than last week.   Things are improving and she will do great.   I love standing next a a mom as she lies down and relaxes at the baby starts to nurse.  She had not tried this before, and the look of joy on her face as she said "this feels good", was heart filling for me.

After that I went to my sister's and fell asleep on her sofa while watching TV.

So I guess, even when I feel good, or great, my whole body is readjusting.  My brain is growing new cells to fill in the space where the tumor was.  The rest of me counts on my brain to work.  So when I am tired, I suspect my brain is telling my body "hey, you are still recovering"

I have all sorts of lumps and bumps on my head that are new to me.  My skull has topography!  And it itches!



No comments:

Post a Comment