Friday, September 20, 2019

Just over 6 weeks out

Yup, it's been six and a half weeks since my knee replacement surgery.    I saw the surgeon on Wednesday for the first time since the surgery. 

Doctor walked in saying "are you glad you had the surgery, aren't you feeling a lot better than before?"  To which I said "no".     

The doctor put me through some stretches that I didn't do very well.  Sitting in a chair, he pushed  my surgical knee/ foot back to be even with the other foot when I am sitting.  I could feel the stretching and, it hurt.  Also, on the exam table, he pushed my leg straight/  flat down on the table with my knee not bent at all (which is really hard to do).  That also hurt.

But, I did come away understanding the importance of pushing through the pain so I don't form debilitating scar tissue.  Yes, I have to work a bit harder.

Yesterday I decided that I could accomplish the knee and leg extension best on the floor.  It is true.  I can straighten and flatten my leg really well on the floor.  But wait!  How do you get up from the floor?   When you cannot kneel to get up, it's all but impossible.

Finally, I scooted over to the sofa and had Nick sit on the sofa right behind me.  Somehow he was able to get his hands under my arms and  we got me up.  So I guess floor sitting is out for now!

I had a small melt down yesterday afternoon.    I have not driven a car in over 6 weeks.  I have been sleeping in a recliner for the last six weeks.  I am just feeling overwhelmed by all the things that I am currently unable to do.

The doctor said I am allowed to drive now. Thing is, as hard as it is for me to get into and out of the car, it's not really a great idea.  I'll do a test drive around the neighborhood soon.

One of theses days soon I will be able to go up and down the stairs.  My sewing and knitting and all of my craft stuff is in the basement.    I'll get there.   Soon I hope.

And now I have to get ready to go to physical therapy.



No comments:

Post a Comment