Friday, March 27, 2020

What's normal?

Yesterday I decided to call some of my elderly relatives.   Almost the only ones left of my mom's family.

My mom's younger sister and her husband are really something.  They said that in all their years they have never experienced anything like this.  But, they told me stories about their lives- how he was in the service and it worked out well for him. They have raised 5 children and had their share of sick kids, broken bones, broken hearts to deal with.  But they always say "all in all we've had a pretty good life".  Someone else who lived through the exact things as them could say the opposite and complain about how hard life has been.  They are a good reminder and example of how to get through life.

In their 80s they are pretty up to date on some things.  They have Alexa, and sometimes Alexa talks and my aunt said it always startles her.  She reflected on how they would never have imagined having cell phones that you could just take anywhere with you!

I called my other aunt who lives on a farm with her daughter and son in law a a bunch of cats.  And horses but they don't come into the house.  My uncle, my mom's younger brother was her husband.  He died about two years ago.  My aunt said that my uncle was the love of her life.  She misses him.   I cannot imagine, but I guess that's a part of life.

The current situation with Covid 19 (coronavirus) is strange.   I am in the house and yard most of the time.  But that's fairly normal I guess.  True, I am not going out anywhere.  I go through moments that almost border on terror about what's going on.  And then I watch a TV show and work on my knitting and everything  just seems normal.

I guess every day we re-learn what normal is.  


No comments:

Post a Comment