Monday, June 2, 2014

The i-cord and my brain hat

There is a knitting technique called "I cord" As non knitters reading this, you might be wondering what the heck I am going on about.  So here:


The I-cord is a tube knitted in the round with two double-pointed needles.  Elizabeth Zimmermann named it the Idiot Cord in honor of her accidental discovery of the simple technique. The I-cord is a perfect example of her attitude toward knitting: let it be fun, free of needless complications, and full of discovery. In this picture from The Opinionated Knitter a wonderful collection of her newsletters, Elizabeth wears an I-cord attached to her glasses.  Once you learn to make one, you'll be searching around for anything that might be improved with an I-cord.

I wanted to copy a pattern of a hat I saw that looked like a brain.  So, I made the hat, in pink, like the picture I was copying.  But I couldn't make myself do the brain part in pink.  It was too weird.  Too gross.  Too close to home.  Too much the color of bubble gum or Pepto Bismol.

I had this really colorful yarn lying around, and I decided to start making a long i-cord, thinking that I would make the brain multicolored, and fun.   One small problem.  With yards of i-cord, and a floppy hat, how would I ever be able to attach it all?  I tried placing the hat on a baby doll's head, but that didn't work too well.   I searched Styrofoam heads, and found a place that sells them.  Perfect solution!

I have pinned on most of the i-cord I have knitted so far.  I need to make some more so I can complete the hat.

Here is what I have so far:  Don't I  have a cool brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment