Thursday, August 13, 2020

What I wrote online today

 My youngest child, Chance, was born at 32 weeks gestation. The birth had been planned to happen in the US. It didn't work out that way. Chance was born in Hong Kong. At the time of his birth I was the only mom in the hospital to be breastfeeding.

When Chance was 3 months old and only weighted 7 lb, it was clear that we needed help with breastfeeding.

We returned to the US to get that help. Joanne Scott was my wonderful Lactation Consultant.

There was an in-service for lactation consultants and La Leche League Leaders. Chance and I were chosen to be the "case study" for that in-service.

We worked so hard that at the end, one of the attendees made this "Medal" for me.

It is signed by: Chele Marmet , Anna Utter Ros Escott, Susan Dodge, Colleen Prorok, Judy Gelman, Barbara Boston, Angela Love-Zaranka, Evelyn Byrne, Pat Gilbertsonon, Paula Kaiter, and of course Joanne Scott.

It was felt strange to be the "subject". But in addition to being a teaching tool, I learned as well.

That baby, Chance, nursed until he was 7. He will be 30 this year!

Where would I be if not for the wonderful La Leche League and lactation consultant friends?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment