Monday, August 17, 2020

I am starting to understand

We used to get annoyed with Nick's parents because they kept their old boxy TV.  They were not interested in having a flat screen TV.  We told them "the picture will be so much better"   "It won't fill the room so much"   We tsk tsked together and said to each other "I don't know why they resist".


I think we are entering that relationship now with our grown children.  "You should cancel your Verizon account".  "Cable is so lame".    "Facebook is no good any more, it's a waste of time".

All of these are the sort of things we said to our parents.  Deep sigh.  I guess they were just stubborn .

Maybe.  Maybe we are stubborn.  Or maybe we are doing fine.   We have been through many changes in our life- both good and bad.   We have survived so far.   Some of the suggestions might save us money.  But it's okay with us.   

It used to drive me crazy that my in-laws bought the "wrong" brand of Ketchup- and in a small bottle.   It was not the brand that I liked, and a small bottle was crazy when we went there with all of the kids.    I mumbled to Nick about it.  I might have said "oh, is this the brand your buy?".   What did it solve.  Nothing.  In fact, I don;t know this for sure, but it might have felt mean and judgmental to my mother in law.

So, kids, if any of you read this, we're fine.   We are okay with our TV/ cable system.  We know how it works.  If you don't like it, that's okay.  We won't try to tell you what to do in your home, and you can try not to tell us.   I know it's hard on both sides.

If/ when we become invalids and have to move in with you- then you can control the TV system (probably).  No, we don't plan to move in with our kids.  Just saying


Social media is another thing.  Yes, I do spend a lot of time on Facebook.  It's something I do.   If I share something I saw on Facebook, I am sharing it because I want to tell you about it.   Not because I want to hear how lame Facebook is.  Maybe it's lame.  Maybe it's a lot of bots or trolls.  I don't know.  But I do know that I have found people I have not been in touch with in 50 years.   I am getting able to reach out to my long time LLL friends all over the world.  And relatives.  High school friends.   Please don't pick on me.   I am not perfect.  But this is something I do.

If you find me really being scammed and giving my money away to a fraud, help me out.  I am not stupid, but I am ignorant.   

Sometimes I get my feelings hurt by something said to me on Facebook.  I do not believe bots are responding to key words I write.  I usually know the person who has said it.   

I  am aging.  Yes I am.  Sometimes my body disappoints me.  Sometimes I move too slow= or talk too fast .   Sometimes the remote doesn't work the way you think it should.  I am okay with that.  My frustration is not an invitation to re-wire my life.  It's just a small thing.

We have worked so hard.  We have not been perfect parents by a long shot.   But we are ready to have adult relationships with our adult children.   

We may not be interested in or capable of things we were 25 years ago.  That's okay.   We all have our own path.   I am just lucky that I get to share that path with each of you from time to time.


Love, Mom




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we all do it. Then,if we have kids, they grow up and do it to us

    ReplyDelete