Thursday, January 18, 2024

Then and Now Nick and Nancy : 1977- 2024

 

 
 
In 1977 Nick's parents came to visit us in Bangkok.  They were going on to Indonesia, so we decided to join them.  We all visited the Borobudur Temple.  It was an amazing place and I am so glad we got to see it and climb all of those steps to really have a look.  Here's what Wikipedia says:
 
What is Borobudur and why is it significant?
 
The Borobudur Temple Compounds is one of the greatest Buddhist monuments in the world, and was built in the 8th and 9th centuries AD during the reign of the Syailendra Dynasty. The monument is located in the Kedu Valley, in the southern part of Central Java, at the centre of the island of Java, Indonesia.

 
 











And here we are more than 46 years later.  Standing in our kitchen with me holding a "bouquet" of radishes that Nick grew in the garden.

We are both a lot grayer and I am a lot wider.  But we are still in love and make each other laugh.

 I look at old pictures of my life and think of all of the places  I have been and things I have done.    Mostly with Nick and often with kids.  

Depending on the country and the ages of the kids, we have climbed and skied and walked and wandered all over the world.

I groan when I get up sometimes.  My knees hurt.  I have other aches too.   Nick and I don't have the stamina we once had.  I am sure some of it is our own doing- lifestyle.  Not getting a lot of exercise. Spending too much time in front of the computer or the TV.

I have a fantasy/ bucket list of going back to all of the places we have lived.   I've done some of it.  Visiting Tromsø and Thailand- both Bangkok and Chiang Mai.    I want to go back to those places.

It would be strange I suspect to go back to Poznan, Poland or Guangzhou, China.    Even visiting Perth Australia would hold some surprises I am sure.

I have been to all of these places.    I gave birth to three of our children in these foreign lands.  

If I never go back, I will reminisce about each place and wonder how it is possible that I have had such a life- so full of adventure.

I am lucky.  Now if only my knees didn't hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment