Sunday, October 4, 2020

Better to be a dog in times of tranquility than a human in times of chaos." (寧為太平犬,不做亂世人

 The above  is apparently a more literal translation of the expression pro-porting to be from Chinese in the form of  "May you live in interesting times".

Yes, I do think I like the idea of being a dog in times of tranquility.  We humans are certainly living in times of chaos! 

It's been seven months since we started to isolate and shut down against the corona virus.   At first, the world seemed to be on hold.  The traffic let up a lot.   There were reports of natural resources returning to places that had been polluted.  It was scary and eerily peaceful.

Of course, even in times of isolation, social distancing and wearing masks.  Life does go on.  There are grave injustices.  There  are Black people dying at the hands of police.   People are mad.  Fed up.  And the situation and feelings are even more intensified by this dreaded disease.

The presidential election is in just over a month.  President Trump has been diagnosed with corona virus and is in the Walter Reed Military Hospital.   This is the man who said it  the whole thing is a hoax.  Who refused to wear a mask.  Who's supporters also refuse to wear masks.   This is a man who has lied and lied so it is hard to know if he is really sick.  

So I go between being sad, tired, angry confused.   I knit.  I write on Facebook.   

I think about my kids constantly.  I worry about them- hoping that they are happy their lives.  They are each so different, and yet it is easy to tell that they come from the same family of origin.   

I think about aging.  Something I have written about quite a bit.  Nick and I really are getting there.  I do not voluntarily sit on the floor- it's too hard to get up.  Yet sitting on the floor used to be so natural.  When the kids were little I was on the floor all the time.   If we ever get to be grandparents, we will not have the agility and energy we would wish to have.  More than likely if grandchildren born into the family, Nick and I will probably not live long enough to see high school and college graduations.  And weddings.  Maybe I have "pre-grief".

On a completely different note, this afternoon as I was doing laundry, I mentioned that the washing machine has been making strange noises.  Nick and Austin stood over the washer commenting on all of the buttons and settings. Nick was fascinated entertained.   Here's what I put on Facebook:

My husband and son are currently finding watching the washing machine filling up to be very entertaining. Pandemic has caused this insanity

 



No comments:

Post a Comment