Monday, May 25, 2020

Mourning an old cat's life on earth

I shared my daughter's writing about her cat Mister.  He was peacefully euthanized in his home  with his humans present.

I am sure he felt the love.  He got sleepy and then drifted off to that place we all wonder about,make up stories about but don't really understand.

I am sad.  I loved that cat.  I am also sad because I wish I could protect my daughter from the pain that loss brings.

But as Courtney said so well, if you want joy and love, pain and sorrow are all part of the human experience.

Mister was 17+ years old.  It struck me that Courtney left the family home at around that age.  First to finish high school in the States while we were abroad, then to go to college.

I know that you don't own your children.  I know that part of parenting is letting go a bit at a time.  Cut the apron strings.  Cut the cord.  Let them fly.

But, loss of a loved one, like Mister, reminds me that letting go in any number of ways is an act of love.


Mister's last resting place

No comments:

Post a Comment