Sunday, April 14, 2019

Oregon

I am "home".   I was born in Portland, Oregon.  My family left when I was a baby, so I don't have any memory of being here as an infant.   Just pictures.

I have been back.   Many times. All through my life.  As a small child we came here.  My father's mother lived in McMinnville.   His brother and his brother's family lived near my grandmother.  Another of my uncles lived in Portland and another in Medford   And, of course their families- my Aunts and cousins.

I have always thought of Oregon as one of my homes.   I have always loved this place.   I have dreamed of living here and even (fantasy) buying the house we lived in when I was born.

Three of my adult children live in the west.  Two in Oregon and one in Seattle, Washington.

And so, here I am again.  This time I am house and pet sitting in my daughter's house.   Watching TV.  Reading a bit.Resting a lot  Not working on any of the various needle craft projects I brought with me.

My "normal" M.O. is to "do".  Always doing things.  Cleaning.  Visiting family and friends.  In the case of this trip, I assumed that I would be doing what I usually do.  Clean.  Wipe finger prints away.  Fold all the linens.  Make everything seem spotless.  And I would be out and about.  My daughter left me her car to drive.

Instead, I am being calm and sedentary.  I guess that how to put it. 

I think that my body and soul needed this.   I have been for walks in the neighborhood.   Not every day.  The first couple of days I don't think I went anywhere at all, venturing out the front door and the back door.  Not leaving the property.

I think that when I am with people, family included, I feel like I am "on".    I feel guilty for wearing my pajamas after noon.   This time, being alone, I am not worried about it.  I have slept in my clothes.  I have worn my pajamas all day.  Nobody knows and I don't care.

Things I have done:   I've been to the coffee shop around the corner a couple of times.   I went to Safeway and bought some groceries.  On that same trip I went to a garden center and bought some plants.  I planted the plants.    I've done laundry.  I have fed the cat and cleaned the litter boxes.  I ate at the Vietnamese restaurant across the street.  That's it.

  I have taken a bunch of pictures.   I'll share them here eventually. 

And now, I am going to have a cup of coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment