Sunday, August 25, 2024

Family

 
 
Family defined in the Cambridge Dictionary:
 
a group of people who are related to each other, such as a mother, a father, and their children:
A new family has moved in next door.
I come from a large family - I have three brothers and two sisters.
He doesn't have any family.
He's American but his family (= relatives in the past) come from Ireland.
This movie is good family entertainment (= something that can be enjoyed by parents and children together).
family life How do you like family life (= being married, having children, etc.)?
 
I have been thinking about family a lot lately.    A couple of cousins visited this past week.  They are sisters, and their mom is my mom's sister.   Also, my sister was in on the visit too.   

I did some genealogy searching and found and printed some information to share.  After all, we share a common set of grandparents and their parents on back through time.
 
The cousins who visited, Geri and Cheryl have been in our lives since they were born.   We know all of their siblings and they know us.   But we don't really know their children or grandchildren well at all.  And they don't know any of our cousins on the other side of the family- our dad's side.
 
 
In Thai, the word for family is ครอบครัว, pronounced "crop crua" (roughly) which translated "kitchen".  So if you ask someone if they are married, what you are literally asking is "do you have a kitchen yet or not" 
 
And on and on.  I now have a grandson who is in my family and also distantly related to my cousins.  But also to their mother's family and Nick's family, forever and ever.

Oh, and then there's the in-laws.   My brother's daughter, Molly, is my niece.   Her mother is my sister in law through marriage to my brother. 

I think I will just post some pictures now:
 
My sister, Carol, in the blue shirt.  Cousin Cheryl standing, me in the pink shirt and cousin Geri (Cheryl's sister) sitting











   







 
 







Earlier we went out with the same cousins plus 
Molly (my brother's daughter) and Janet,
 Molly's mom and our sister in law

******************
 
 
 
 
 
 
But wait, there's more!
We just got photos of our wonderful grandson Galileo. 
He had his two month checkup and he's already over 11lb!










2 comments:

  1. Tried to comment on my desktop but couldn't. Thanks for the congratulations!

    ReplyDelete