Monday, May 23, 2016

Places I have lived

Portland, Oregon  I was born in Portland in 1954


Athens Greece We lived in Athens from 1955-57.  I am told that Greek was my first language. I don't really remember:




Okinawa  Not sure of the dates, but I think we went to Okinawa in 1957?  I don't seem to have any pictures, but I think that this picture is of us arriving on the USS Breckenridge.  
I think that's my mom in the red dress and my brother to her left.

 

Alexandria, Virginia
My mom loved her piano.  I remember it was at the foot of the stairs.



Kabul, Afghanistan  1959-1961.  I remember learning about Alaska and Hawaii becoming states when we were there.  The horse and buggy picture was taken in front of our house.
Me in my Afghan dress that my mother had made.  I was around 7 years old

My brother, Dale standing on the back steps of our house


Afghan public transportation




Washington, D.C.  In 1961 we returned from Afghanistan and lived in a hotel on 16th St NW in Washington.
Meridian Hill Park


This is my mom at Meridian Hill Park, right across the street from our hotel



Wheaton, Maryland  1961-1969  When we lived in Wheaton, I started attending the Barrie School.  I graduated from Barrie in 1972

Here's where we lived.


This was the main building on the Fern Place NW, DC Barrie School campus


Me sitting on the patio- around 15 years old





College Park, Maryland  Nick and I got married June 24, 1972.
We were so young!


We lived in College Park in our first house.  Nick finished law school and joined the State Department as a Foreign Service Officer




Bangkok, Thailand  We lived in Bangkok from 1976-78.   Our first baby, daughter Courtney, was born there.





College Park, MD
Back to College Park while Nick studied Polish in anticipation of our move to Poznan, Poland

Poznan, Poland
  We lived in Poznan from 1979-81.    I don't seem to have any pictures of Poznan in my computer at the moment.  However, during our tour, Morgan was born I returned to Virginia for his birth, and Courtney, Morgan and I returned to Poland when Morgan was 8 weeks old.




Chiang Mai, Thailand.  We lived in Chiang Mai, Thailand from 1981-83.   I started my first La Leche
 League Group there.






Reston, Virginia   We flew home on leave from Chiang Mai to work on buying a new house.   This is the house we bought and moved into in 1983 and where we still live




Tromso, Norway  We lived in the beautiful city of Tromsø from 1984-86.   Our third child, Darcy, was born just three weeks after we got to Tromsø

Darcy's first US passport picture





Reston, VA  Back to Reston from 1986-89.

Austin, our fourth baby, was born in the first year we were home.




Taipei, Taiwan We lived in Taiwan for a year while Nick studied Chinese in preparation for a tour in China.

I'll have to get back to putting pictures of Taipei here.

Guangzhou,  China  We stopped in Beijing and did some sightseeing before heading to Guangzhou.

We went to the Great Wall of China.  I was pregnant with Chance in this picture


  While we were in Guangzhou, we welcomed our fifth and last baby, Chance



Reston, VA from 1991to 1995, we were back in Reston.  The pictures loaded out of sequence.

1992

1993

1994

1991


Perth, Western Australia.  Perth is a beautiful city where we were lucky enough to live for three years.  We were there from 1995-98



Reston.  And now we are back home in Reston.  We have been here since 1998- the longest time we have lived in one place!

No comments:

Post a Comment