Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Austin

My first three babies were born by cesarean.  I had three wonderful children.  But when I was pregnant with Austin, I really wanted to be able to give birth naturally.

And so, I did.  I had a completely unmedicated, vaginal birth when Austin was born.  I know that there are plenty who would say "at least you had a healthy baby".  Yes, I had three healthy babies.  I never felt that we had missed out on the bonding, and nursing was a wonderful part of mothering.  But I wanted to actually "birth" my child, not just have him handed to me all done.

I will not write the details of Austin's birth.  Maybe another time.  But what I do want to say is this;  giving birth with the support and help I had when Austin was born was the most amazing and powerful experience of my life.  Being able to birth and feel everything and not be scared, but be supported and understood, made this birth an incredible and empowering piece of my story that has forever changed me.

So, Happy Birthday Austin.   I cannot believe that 29 years ago at this hour I was laboring with you.  Knowing that every breath I took brought me closer to holding you.

Thank you for being my son.













No comments:

Post a Comment