Sunday, March 3, 2024

remembering






 

 

 





I copied this from Facebook.  The sentiment says it so well.   I think of my kids as children so often.  It's not easy to put into words.  

I see them sitting and thinking and working something out.  I see them laughing I see them crying about the unfairness of their world.   

I see all of their ages and stages.  Feeling the fluttering and kicking inside my body.   Seeing them as new, freshly born babies.   Taking first steps.  Babbling and then saying words tentatively.  Then talking my head off so I want to yell "shut up".   

I have photos of the kids at various ages, walking away- taken from behind.  Candid pictures, yes.  But much more.  

As soon as they crawl and walk and talk they are moving on.  Becoming individuals.   Walking into adulthood.  

Years ago I wrote about Courtney, my first born, going to college.  I thought of it as another weaning.   

I have five, complete adult people in my life who started out as a piece of me.  Nourishing their growing bodies with the placenta and umbilical cord that connected us.  Then feeding at my breast we were one.  And nursing beyond into toddler-hood.    

And always, no matter how far they crawled or walked or drove and even moved far away, they are in my heart and I am in their DNA




No comments:

Post a Comment