Monday, February 6, 2023

This and That


 So many things I want to write about that I don't know where to start.  A familiar dilemma.  So often I think about writing but then I think- nah I'll do it tomorrow.  Then it's tomorrow and I cannot remember what it is that I wanted to write about!

Austin and Nick returned from their travels.  They were gone for almost a month, on three different cruise ships on three different cruise lines!   That's a lot of cruising!

 Austin saw a miniature treadle sewing machine in a gift shop in Cartegena, Columbia and he bought it for me.  I posted pictures of it on Facebook, and over 400 people on my Antique Sewing Macines group have said that they like it!






I love it!

Nick bought me a really pretty necklace make with crystals in the setting.

My men do love me!   (is that a silly thing to say?)

A few months ago I knitted a cute sweater and hat for a friend's grandson.  Kathy Y has been a friend since 1983 when we moved into the neighborhood at the same time and were next door neighbors until 2018 when we moved to Aldie.  Her son Steve was good friends with Austin and Darcy when they were little and played baseball together.  Steve is now married and has two kids.  I knitted a sweater for his daughter a couple of years ago and now this set for his son.





I think he is too cute to only have one picture here!







Last week a couple of old friends, Lea and Joanne, both of whom I have known for over 35 years, and I had a Zoom get together.  I was great!  Really great.  I met Joanne when I was pregnant with Austin and Lea shortly after.  Lea's son and Austin were born just two days apart!

When I think of my friends, all over the world. the vast majority of them are women I know because of La Leche League.  I have been a LLL Leader for over 40 years and have met and helped and worked with women who have become my closest friends.  (Of course my sister is my best girlfriend, but she knows that!).

My big LLL connections these days are through the Friends of la Leche League (formerly LLL Alumni) and Power Surge- my wonderful group that started online in 1996.   

In fact, one of my PS friends was a LLL Leader in Virginia where I first met her.  She and her family moved back to Minnesota a few years ago. 

She has had a lot going on in her life lately.  Her sister was ill and moved in with Kathie and her husband where she lived out her life under hospice care until she died.  I looked at Kathie's Facebook page and found a picture of her family there.  I had it made into a blanket for her.  She just received it, and it came out even better than I had hoped.

The family blanket with Kathie;s dad sitting next to it.









 

With Nick and Austin back it's not so lonely.  Not that it has actually been lonely because Chance has been here.  I guess I mean that the house feels full right now.

Chance is buying a house in West Virginia and goes to settlement in a couple of weeks.  The house was built in 1900 and needs some work, but for the most part it is a really great house!  I like it.  And, there;s a great Thai restaurant right around the corner.

And speaking of things Thai.  Austin is going to Thailand!  He met a young woman on one f the cruise ships and they really hit it off.  So he is flying to Thailand and she is flying there too and they will meet.  I have already connected him with one friend in Bangkok and have contacted another friend in Chiang Mai who is looking forward to seeing him and his friend.

Okay, that's enough for tonight.  It's almost 2:00 AM.  I need to go to bed.

Good night!



No comments:

Post a Comment