Thursday, February 23, 2023

It's Brain Tumor Thursday

 It's brain tumor Thursday.   I don't know why that is a thing.  Brain tumors don't care what day it is, or who you are, or how old or young you are.    They don't "know" anything.  They just "are" Dammit.

Nine years ago I started having headaches.   And just feeling kind of yucky.  I remember Nick and I walked to the neighborhood Starbucks in the snow.  We always enjoyed taking walks in the snow.  I sat down at a table waiting for Nick to get our drinks.  Another lady was sitting at the same table waiting for her drink.  I felt lousy and said to the lady "I think I have a brain tumor".  Little did I know at that moment that I actually did have a brain tumor.

I was still pretty active as a Lactation Consultant, and so, I had to have a negative TB test every year.  Usually the nurse administers the test and then when you go back in three days, she reads it.  This time, I asked if I could please see the doctor. He listened to my concerns and had some suggestions for de-stressing that he thought might help.   When I went in to have the test read it was negative by the way) I wanted to see the doctor again.  This time he sent me to the hospital for a "stat" MRI.   The MRI tech said that she had spoken to the doctor and he wanted me to come right back to his office.   She said she "saw something".

And that is how I learned that I had a brain tumor.  Tada!

Maybe I am not good at facing reality or something, but I don't recall being upset or scared.  Worried yes,  Feeling like I needed more information.  Yes.

So, in 2014 as I was contemplating turning 60 years old, I learned I had a brain tumor.  I was no longer obsessing about getting older.

I will be 60 in a coupe of months.  Ever so much closer to 70.   What's next?    Something good I hope!



No comments:

Post a Comment