Thursday, January 12, 2023

My Aunt Geri

 My mother's younger sister was my Aunt Geri.   She and my mom were the same age distance as I am with my own sister.

My mother and her sister shared a bed growing up.  I grew up hearing stories about how my mom would draw an imaginary line down the middle of the bed and tell her little sister that she better not cross that line.    At some point, my mom got a pair of ice skates for Christmas and she decided to sleep in them.  Sounds scary and dangerous. 

Even though miles separated my mom, Ruth, and her sister Geraldine, they were always close.  They wrote letters and visited each other whenever possible.  Very much like my sister and I.  

I was my mother's last baby, and my cousin Geri Lynn was my Aunt Geri's first.  Geri Lynn and I are only about six weeks apart, me being the older one.   I have always felt a special bond with Geri Lynn.

My Aunt Geri was "cute", in her own way.  She was a cheery soul.  Smart , no nonsense and witty and funny too.   She and her husband my Uncle John were very clearly in love.  She would often say she made the right decision marrying him.

They were married for 71 years.  And this week, at the age of 90, she died.   

It is almost impossible to imagine the world with out Aunt Geri.   Death at age 90 shouldn't be a surprise.  And it isn't.  But, it is as well. 

My brother Dale went first in 2001. followed by my mom's brother Uncle George in 2003 and my mother in 2004.  Uncle Norman in 2018 and now Geraldine in 2023.  Uncle Bud (John) is still alive.  He's in his 90s.   




My cousin Cheryl's son Chris wrote this:


  My Grandma Pullum passed away late last night at the age of 90. She was a wonderful person and is already missed by so many. I was the first of 17 grandchildren and 24 great grandchildren. Despite the sheer number of us, I don't think anyone could say they didn't get enough love and attention from her. Thankfully she passed while working on a crossword book without even realizing what happened. I love you grandma.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment