Thursday, January 19, 2023

Here Comes the Sun!

 This is just about the date that the sun returns to Northern Norway- Tromso,  to be precise.   People are posting lots of pictures of the light coming over the horizon- on the Tromso Facebook pages.

I remember how thrilling it was to see the sun for the first time in two months.  It was just a sliver of light peeking over the mountains.  It lasted maybe four minutes.   We lived on the south end of the island, so I saw it before Nick.  I called him at work, but since his office was on the north end of the island, he didn't see it for a few more days.  










If you have not lived through the mørke tid, the dark time, you cannot imagine it.   Of course, having a baby and two older kids and adjusting to a new house in a new country added to the difficult adjustment.

I think that if we were to try living there again, without all of the other adjustments- kids and all, it would probably feel very cozy. (koselig)

During the dark months- November through January, there is usually snow on the ground.  People have light on in their windows which reflect off of the snow and it really is very koselig.

I used to say that I really looked forward to being nostalgic about Tromso.  And I am.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment