Thursday, November 24, 2022

It's Thanksgiving again

 I think I try to write something profound on Thanksgiving every year.  Why should this year be any different?  

We bought a turkey that was labeled "12 lb.", but it looked much larger.   Nick weighed it using our luggage scale and found that the turkey is in fact just over 22 lb.  

Luggage scale 

Big difference.  All of the turkeys in the bin said 12 lb.   Maybe that was so they would all sell.  Or maybe the labeling machine was malfunctioning.   Either way, it makes a big difference in how long the bird needs to cook.

The turkey is now in the oven.  It has a shroud.   I learned this from my sister;  melt a pound of butter in a sauce pan.  Put in a big piece of cheesecloth and let it soak up the butter.  Then drape the cheesecloth over  the turkey- pouring any remaining butter over the turkey.  It makes for a delicious and beautiful turkey.

turkey with shroud 

I could not remember where we had put the big, blue roasting pan.  I honestly thought I would have to run out and buy a disposable on so I could cook the turkey.  Then, this morning I looked one more place- under the shelves back in a corner in the pantry!   

Hurray for Grandma Sherwood's old, blue, roasting pan!

We will have gluten free stuffing, vegan stuffing, gluten free pumpkin pie and vegan pumpkin pie.

The house is starting to smell good!  I am going to put my feet up for a while!



No comments:

Post a Comment