Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Handing over the car keys

 This trip to Oregon with Chance is, I believe, the first time I have traveled alone with him.  As an adult anyway.  It's hard to allow the adult to be an adult.  It's nothing deliberate or intentional.  It's just  something that happens.   

I rented  a car for our stay here and had Chance put on it as an extra driver.    I fully expected to be doing all of the driving.  After all, I am the mom and he's the "kid".    But when we both realized how nervous a driver I am when I have an adult passenger, and how hard it is for the passenger, we decided that Chance should do the driving while he is here with me.

The last time I spent any time in a car with Chance behind the wheel was when he was learning how to drive.   But Chance has been driving for 14 years!  He is an adult, he can find things and use a GPS.   And I am trying to learn not to be a back seat driver.  He's very patient with me.

The original plan when we came out here to Portland was that Chance would stay for one week and head back to Virginia.  I am staying a couple of extra weeks. Since we have found so much to do, including maintaining Courtney and Zach's yard, Chance offered to stay longer if I needed him to.  So he is staying a couple of extra days.   And I think he and I are both happy about it.

This evening we are meeting my cousin Colleen and her daughter Kate for dinner.  Chance will drive of course.

Mount Hood as seen from Jenny Jestatis' house



one of the walls in the Laughing Planet restaurant where we had lunch yesterday



The coffee shop around the corner from Courtney's house



No comments:

Post a Comment