Saturday, April 30, 2022

Our dinner group

This history of our dinner group was written a few years ago.

 None of the original, founding members are still involved.  Many have died. 

 History- The BG's (stands for Beloved Group) have been in existence almost 35 years, hard to believe.  The first activity was a pool party at the Snitkin's on August 7, 1982.  Founding members were Al and Alice Dalluge, Anne Alexander, Marnie Perlik, Stan and Miriam Snitkin, Muriel Slevin, Karlyn Winterhalter, Tom and EVirnston, Marie Nelson, Tom Mortimer, Robin Schrage, Meryl Vaughn, Curt and Mary Kornblau, Beryl Gilmore and Carole Coppersmith. You may know some of these people still, but most  have moved away or some sadly have  died.)


    This week we attended the first Extended Family get-togethers in a couple of years.  Thanks to the pandemic.   There was a Christmas gathering this year (Christmas 2021) but we stayed home because the kids were all here.

    I was reminiscing about the Christmas dinners/parties we have had.  I am sure we have hosted the December dinner for at least 10 years.  We cancelled twice.  One time there was too much snow for anyone to drive safely so we cancelled.  Then, in 2017 as I was preparing for brain surgery we decided to skip the hosting duties that year.    

    Something nice and surprising was that they group called me from the Christmas party and all talked to me and sent Christmas greetings.

    As I was watching TV this afternoon it occurred to me that, while I had my family- husband, kids sister all looking after me and helping take care of me, I didn't have a mother who cared.  My mother was gone.  She would have been so worried and concerned.  If she had been able bodied she would have helped me in anyway she could.

    Then I think about my own kids.   How I would do just about anything for them.   Driving to Richmond when Austin was sick- staying in his hospital room and sleeping in a recliner.   I know I was needed and I am so grateful that I was able to help.   

    Our dinner group is changing.  Shrinking it seems.  Two active members of the group have died during the pandemic.  One from a fall and the other from cancer.  The reason for our meeting this week was to farewell another two people who are moving to Florida.

    Nick is playing poker with the guys from the extended family in a week or so.   Beyond that, I don't know what is happening.  

    I hope that our little "family" doesn't cease to be.    


Christmas 2019


Christmas 2019






 

    


No comments:

Post a Comment