Thursday, February 18, 2021

Snow, no snow, sleet, melting, more snow

 I don't really have a first memory of snow.   It's just always been a part of winter- at least in most of the places we've lived.

I remember snow in Afghanistan.  We went skiing - there was no chair lift- just a rope that was made into a pulley using some sort of motor at the top of the hill/ mountain.   My mom, my brother and I went to ski.  I don't think my dad or sister went.   I remember being carried piggy-back by some Afghan men to get to wherever it was I needed to be.

My mom was pretty athletic when she was young.  She and Dale went flying down the mountain.  I slid and went up and slid and went up.  My mom had bought me some beautiful ski boots from a place called "The German Store".  She got our skis there too.  My boots were not some sort of cheap kids boots, they were just like the ones the adults wore.

We had a black dog [in Afghanistan] named Scamp.   Some where there's a home movie of us kids running around the yard, in the snow, with Scamp.

I could write volumes about snow.   We lived in Northern Norway for two years.    Funny,  my mother in law asked if we were sick of snow after living in Norway and we said "no"!  She hated it (snow)

Our daughter told us that she picked her college based on the fact that there were snow pictures in the brochure.

Last year we hardly got any snow.  This year it's been weird.  It seems like we get snow forecasts for weekends,the snow falls, it melts, and the next weekend it falls again!

For the last few years, with my over weight and unwieldy body it's been challenging for me to feel safe walking in the slippery stuff.  With my bad knees, falling down is risky because if I fall I am not sure if I can get up.

Still, the white stuff is so beautiful!











No comments:

Post a Comment