Saturday, September 10, 2022

The Queen is dead. Long live the king

 On September 8, 2022, Queen Elizabeth II died at the age of 96 ,after ruling for 70 years.

  


There were announcements on TV that the family was going to the queen's bedside and then, the next think I knew a special announcement cut into the TV to announce that she had died.

Of course, she was a mortal being like all of us.  But, at least for me, an American girl, there's always been a mystique surrounding the royal family.

Queen Elizabeth and my mother were both born on April 21, 1926.  I wish my mother had lived as long as the queen.

Talking to Nick and reflecting on how surprised we both are at how moving and emotional it has been we are reminded of losing our own parents.

Life goes on.  There are all of the practicalities of transitioning from having a parent, or in this case, a queen, to not having them,    

It isn't a surprise, yet it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment