Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Interesting Question

 I was on a Zoom call last evening with a group of La Leche League alumina.  All of us have been LLL Leaders, but most on this call are retired from out LLL work.  The group is called "Friends of la Leche League.

We try to have the get togethers once a month.  The topic this month was "what are you doing for yourself?  How are you taking care of yourself?    

I was at a loss.  I did say that I write and I knit and that's for me.   But how do I keep myself "full"?  

It made me think of a meeting we had with a therapist over 30 years ago- in fact, I was pregnant with now 32 year old, Chance.    

Nick said he had a couple of friends and if one dies he'll have room for another one.   After the meeting he asked me if that was too weird a response!

I said I am a La Leche League Leader and I get my satisfaction from that.  The therapist persisted and asked when I do for ME.  I am not sure that many people outside of LLL can really understand how it works.   You start out as one of the moms- making friends with like minded moms.  Then it evolves.  The kids grow up, but the LLL relationships remain strong.  We have all been in similar situations.   Following our instincts.  Learning from our children what is important; caring, loving listening.    When you are having a bad day you can lean on other LLL moms.

SO, now, what do I do for myself now?  I knit.  I watch TV.  I write here in my blog.   I read.  I connect with the people who are the most important to me.  My husband, my sister, my friends.

And I ponder.   I write to my kids and for the most part I do not get any answers.  (there are exceptions).  When I write to someone- friend or family- and I don't hear back, I feel so sad.  I have gone to the effort to reach out and there's no response.  I feel like an afterthought.  I guess that's the way the world works.

I used to be such a prolific writer before the internet.  I wrote letters all the time to everyone we  konw.   I kept in touch- in way that felt tangible.


I want tp put a picture to this blog post but am not sure what picture to use.  I'll think of something.



No comments:

Post a Comment