Thursday, March 9, 2023

I'm alive

 Yes, of course I am alive or I wouldn't be sitting here writing this.  

This afternoon I was watching TV and eating a chicken sandwich.  I must have bitten off to much because I couldn't swallow it.  I kept trying to swallow but it just got more and more stuck.  I ran and found Nick and he did as close to the Heimlich maneuver as I would know how to do.  He  pulled up and in just below my ribs (is that the right way?).  It worked.  A spit out- threw up pureed chicken sandwich.    I think we were both pretty shook up afterward.  I have felt very vulnerable today after that.   Things happen so fast.  I am glad Nick was here.  He is my hero. 

Beyond all of that excitement, I continue to knit and create .  I guess I am a "maker".   I finished some mittens that I am sending to Austin's  neighbors in Maine, Sylvia and Jim.  They are such nice people and they are always looking out for Austin, or in his absence, his house.


I always feel like I need to be doing something.  Knitting is what I enjoy the most and feel that I am pretty good at it.

 

 

 

I also like making potholders- here's one I made this evening:








I have started a new project.  It's called a temperature blanket.  The colors are chosen to represent the weather- actually, the temperature on each day for a year.  The rows are quite long, but you only do two rows per day.  So there's a lot of down time which means I need to work on something else too.

This chart gives an idea what temperatures are represented by each color.  Below is my set of yarn to knit into the blanket.
 
A few months ago, Nick planed bulbs.  Lots of them.  daffodils, tulips and others.  Everything is starting to push up through the dirt and some are even blooming.
When we were first married and lived in College Park, there  were loads of daffodils along the fence in the back yard.  Daffodil bulbs split, so they can be dug up and split into more plants.  We gave a lot of our split bulbs to my sister, and then she had a lot of daffodils in her yard.  Somewhere along the line, Nick's mom got some of the offspring of the original bulbs and had them growing and blooming in her yard.  I am not sure why, but for some reason, Nick's mom always called them "Carol's daffodils"  I think she thought that they originated in Carol's yard.   It's funny how something becomes a different story than it started out as and that becomes the "truth".
 
I have been feeling very blah lately.  I think that it's just the anxiety of being a parent and wondering what the future holds.  Chance has been living in our basement for at least 6 months now.   It's a nice space- more like an apartment.  Now that he has bought a house, he is working on moving into the house as he moves things in and meets with various repair people.  I am looking forward to having my sewing/ scrap-booking space back.   

When Austin got sick in November, I flew up to Maine to make sure he was alright.  There was the possibility of appendicitis, which, fortunately it was not.  He and his cat flew down here to stay in our house for a while.   We gave him the room that is usually our bedroom because it offered the best space for him and the cat.

Austin and Nick and I went to Seattle for Christmas and then the two of them went on several cruises.   I was back here in Aldie with Chance and his cat downstairs and Austin's cat upstairs.  Almost as soon as they got back, Austin took off for Thailand to connect with his friend Kristin.  Austin is due back here next week.  I know that the cat will be happy to see him.  I am sure that he will be very jet lagged.  I hope that he and his cat are planning to go back home to Maine.   

Nick and I look forward to having the house to ourselves, just the two of us.  We love our kids and are glad that we can offer a place when it's needed.   

Well, it's really really late!  Every night I tell myself I will go to bed earlier.  Every night I stay up too late!  Then I am sleepy all the next day,  And today won't be any different.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment