Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Goodbye dear friend, Terry

Terry Stafford is someone I have been aware of for what seems like forever.  She wrote two books for children about being a nursing toddler.   I have both books and read them to my children over and over for years.

I first met Terry in an elevator in Kansas City, in 1983. We were attending a La Leche League International Conference.  I knew about Terry's wonderful illustrations.  At the time I was thinking ab out writing a book about traveling with babies and children.  I had hoped I could get Terry to be my illustrator  The book never happened and so Terry did not illustrate it.

In the 90s the world of the internet exploded.  We were living in Australia, and I was thrilled that I could connect with my family and friends all over the world by email.  Small groups were forming, and I joined an online group of La Leche Leaders.  Some of us were more interested in menopause and aging parents than we were in  potty training and discipline.  We formed a small group of a little over 40 of us and we called ourselves "Power Surge".  Terry was a member of this group.   

For 25 years we have continued to be a close group of women.  We have shared sadness, successes, marriages, divorces, births of grandchildren and deaths.

Terry has always been a huge part of "PS".  Most if not all of us have met her in person, and we all knew her in our little group.

Terry shared her whole illness, diagnosis and decline with us.  With the pandemic it has been impossible for any of us to travel to help care for Terry.

And now she is gone.  This was on her Facebook page on August 23, 2021

I'm deeply saddened to let everyone know that Terry passed away today, Monday August 23, at Lady Minto hospital on her beloved Salt Spring Island. She went peacefully and surrounded by people who loved her, with her husband Harvey and dear friends Dona and Meg at her side. "








No comments:

Post a Comment