Thursday, August 12, 2021

Arlington Cemetery

 We went to a memorial service at Arlington Cemetery this morning.  Our friend David had served in the US Marine Corps.   There  was a chapel service first followed by a service near where David's ashes were placed.

This was my fifth funeral service that I have attended there.  We thought about stopping to say "hi" to my father- who is also inurned there but decided to just come home instead.

Arlington Cemetery is an amazing place.  So many graves.  So much history.    My three youngest kids were there for my father's service. I would like to take Courtney and Morgan there sometime.  I imagine  the fact that my father is there is an abstraction to them.   None of the kids really knew my father very well.  I am sure they didn't feel very close to him.   They have heard about how goofy my dad could be and how mean and scary he could be.

What they don't know is that I used to sit in my dad's lap a lot.  I would comb his hair and help him polish his shoes.  I held his hand when we walked together. I called him "Daddy" and still refer to him that way.

Nick's parents are gone. My parents are gone.  Our friend, David's kids are now without a father.

 Sometimes I feel like I am a string on a kite flying freely in the sky.  But I would rather feel anchored to the earth.

This is the pass that allows me to get into Arlington Cemetery to visit my dad




No comments:

Post a Comment