Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Christmas is coming



This is our 2020 Christmas tree.  I got it out of the box and assembled it.   Nick started the decorating and I have done a little too (decorations had not been added when this picture was taken)

 

We got to the post office and got the Christmas cards and letters in the mail.    It was a joint project with me initiating and Nick acting in the role of supporting editor.

Various gifts from various websites have been ordered and shipped to the west coast kids.    

I have almost always had a hard time at this time of year.  Memories of stress and discord in my family as a little kid.  Pressure as an adult, married and with kids.   Feeling stretched between families, mine and Nick's.  Not that Nick's family ever pressured us.  But I put the pressure on myself I suppose.

Our best Christmases have been when we lived overseas.   We could be at home with the kids and have a leisurely morning of emptying Christmas stockings.  Opening presents one at a time, in birth order.  Giving everyone to show off their gifts and the rest time to admire them.   

Opening gifts one at a time slows things down.  Makes us just enjoy the moment.  The kids get a big kick out of throwing their torn wrapping paper at Nick.  I don't know when that started, but it is part of the silliness.

I miss the kids.   We will get through this.   We will all be fine.    We will keep working on puzzles in our house here in Aldie.

I will continue to spend "too much" time on Facebook, watching TV and knitting.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment