Monday, May 8, 2023

Just another day in America

 I started to write a post about my birthday and whatever else was on my mind.  

But, there was another mass shooting.  In a mall in Texas.  Eight people dead.  Then, there was a car that plowed in to a crowd at a bus stop and killed seven people.  The first -the shooting, was deliberate.   The car carnage, not sure.  The driver was probably drunk.

It's just so hard to feel safe and sane.   It makes me so sad.  It makes me afraid to go to crowded places, or just about anywhere in public.

I cannot imagine losing a family member- especially a child like that.  You never ever recover.

I suppose I could stop watching the news.  I could try to block it all out.   Pretend that everything is wonderful.   But it really is not.

I have always disliked it when people talk about "the good old days".   Well, they weren't always as good as we would like to imagine, but I have never had this feeling.  Anxiety.  Fear.  Anger.  

I guess in October 2002 when the Beltway Snipers were randomly shooting people there was a lot of fear.  Local to the DC area, but real.  But those guys were caught.   They did terrorize the Washington DC area for a few weeks and killed 10 people.  We didn't stop living, but we ducked running from a building to our car.  We were afraid to pump gas for fear of being a target.

And now, it's anyone anywhere any time.

I have to believe that it will get better.

This, after being cooped up while trying to stay safe during the pandemic I think a lot of people are on edge.

Meanwhile, the flowers in the garden have given a beautiful show.  Now it is the roses turn to bloom.   They have grown so much in the five years we have been in this house.    I am glad we told the yard guys not to cut them down to the ground like they would have.

We saw a skunk in the neighbor's yard across the street.  Then, later, when we went to take Buddy for a walk, the skunk was close to our house.  So we ran into the garage and closed the door really fast.  Then, poor Buddy was very confused so we thought we ought to take him out for a drive.  Do you suppose he wonders why we are crazy!?

Darcy and Jody made their plans to try for a baby, public. At least to the family on the Zoom call the other day!   That's happy news!

Courtney and I are going on a cruise soon- in nine weeks in fact.  I am really looking forward to that!   Courtney has never been on a cruise, and I have never been on an Alaska cruise.

Courtney has asked if one of us would like to come out to house sit while she and Zach go to Burning Man.  I feel guilty about saying no.  A big part of me would like to go.  But a bigger part of me wants to be home.  I will all work out.

























No comments:

Post a Comment