Friday, July 8, 2022

Things you remember

 From the time I was 7 to the time I was 15, we (my family) lived in a basement apartment.  There was a lot of area to go outside and play.  But there was no part of it that was our own.  Nowhere to plant and grow anything.

My mom bought me a "punch and grow" kit at the grocery store.  It had directions on how to get the seeds to sprout and what to do once they did sprout.   The kit I had was one with flowers; Sweet Williams, which I now know are also called dianthus .  


Every time I see Sweet Williams flowers I feel nostalgic and happy.  

One summer we took my little kit with it's budding little flowers and planted them in my grandmothers back yard.  She lived in Detroit in what I would now consider a small house.  But then it was a HOUSE!  Not an apartment.  With it's own yard, both front and back.  My grandmother had a clothes line!  She grew tomatoes and probably other things too.   I was a wonderful place.    She had some toys and puzzles in her front hall coat closet- for the grandchildren to play with.  There was a basement, which was always cool in the summer.  She had a little box on the outside of her screened porch that was where the mail was delivered.  There was a flap inside the box where the mail could be collected.   I used to make little notes and drawings and put them in the mail box and say "Grandma, you got mail"!


But, back to those flowers.  I know that I have a photo of them somewhere.  My kids will no doubt find the picture of some little flowers and wonder what they are and why anyone took a picture of them.   I was so incredibly happy and proud of my flowers!

I now how Sweet Williams growing in flower pots in front of my house and in back.  They make me smile.   Yes they do.








No comments:

Post a Comment