Monday, July 25, 2022

Feeling something- protective, scared, yeah all that and more

 

Last week I wrote here on my Blog about sleeping babies.  And now, one of those beautiful babies has cancer.  Courtney has thyroid cancer.  The type she has, they say, is slow growing and very treatable.   Courtney will have her thyroid removed and then will be on thyroid replacement drugs for the rest of her life.

I had my thyroid removed- not because of cancer, but because I had a goiter that was impeding my swallowing and breathing.  And I had already been on thyroid drugs for about 20 years.

Also, Courtney, while an adult, competent person, is my child.  My baby.  Bad things are not supposed to happen to our children. 

I guess I could be crying and panicking, but that's not who I am.   I am worried.  Stressed.   Feeling helpless.  Yes it could be worse.   But that' not where  am at.

Being a mother is who I am.  It is what I am.  Being a mother, or father, makes you feel strong, capable and willing to stand in front of  a bullet for your child.  But is also exposes all of your weaknesses and vulnerabilities and frailties'.


Courtney and Zach July 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment