Tuesday, July 28, 2020

our meager harvest

This is what I harvested the other day.  We have three huge tomato plants that are starting to produce.  A nice bell pepper that was grown in a garden container.

Earlier we got lettuce and radishes.  There are some carrots but they are kind of small.  They smell and taste like carrots, just small.

For five years or so, Nick rented a garden space in Reston.   It did pretty well most of the time.  When Nick was traveling I would try to tend the garden.  I did okay, but I am more of a houseplant girl.

We've been in pandemic mode for almost five months now.  An awful lot of people started gardens in preparation of food shortages.  Or maybe in an effort to find a meaningful way to spend time.  

When we were first married I grew houseplants.  Mainly coleus, but some avocados from their pits, and something called Kalanchoe.  I learned abut kalanchoe in a botany class.  It's a succulent.  There are ridges in the leaves, and a new plant grows from each notch. Growing up in an apartment, any kind of thing that you could grow in dirt was pretty amazing to me!
Kalakchoe Plant



I guess that's where my fanciful dreams started.   I had visions of living out in the country, with goats to milk and a beautiful garden to feed us.   Somehow I saw my self as the thin old lady in overalls and long gray braids.  Tending to everything.   Kids, cats, goats and grandchildren everywhere.

It was a major disappointment when I discovered how much I hated goats milk!   I also didn't know a thing about farming.

So I was content with my houseplants and our cats and dog.
 
Eventually came the Foreign Service.  Travel to far away places.  Be diplomats.  Have babies.  Move again.

I think I really grew up with the diplomatic lifestyle.  I always assumed that Nick was already a grown up, though I think we both grew up together a lot.

And Nick gets gout attacks that are painful, and make him feel old.   And my knees hurt and I am 100lb overweight.  That makes me feel old.

But as long as I keep watering everything and feeding the dog, everything's going to be alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment