Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Cultural Perspective?

There was one exhibit at the museum that I saw yesterday that I think showed a certain bias to the way things are done today.

The exhibit was about things women used, and about baby toys.  It said "In the 17th century, baby bottles were not available.  Women were either nursing or pregnant for most of their childbearing years".   I didn't even think much about it until later in the day.  Then is struck me- ok, so?   Wasn't/ isn't that the biological norm?   Hasn't the human race, indeed all mammals existence  depended upon the availability of species specific milk to survive?

I do know that *I* would not have even thought to make mention of the lack of baby bottles in a previous era as a deficit in women's lives, tying them down by being nursing mothers.  Indeed, bottles tie mother's down to a much greater degree!

Stepping down from my soap box now.

No comments:

Post a Comment