Sunday, September 24, 2023

The agony of the teeth

 


I do not like pain.   I have had many instances of pain in my life.  Birthing babies.   Various surgeries including the worse one- knee replacement surgery.  But this dental stuff just seems to go on and on and on.

 This is what I wrote- partly for myself to put it into perspective, but also so share with my various dentists, periodontists and oral surgeons, all of whom seem to have some responsibility for my dental if not mental health.

I am currently in pain which is moderately controlled by drugs.  I am pissed off that it took so long and so many dentists to believe me when I told them that I had an infection.   If I had not insisted on my current oral surgeon pushing on my gums with a Q-tip, to see the pus, I would still have the infection and who knows what other damage would have been done to my teeth and my overall health.   

I am really usually a pretty happy, nice person.  But pain changes that.


 

***********************************************************

My bottom tooth, #30, had an old filling in it.  I had a dentist persuade me to have the tooth crowned.  First he did a root canal.  

 

This is what I wrote on my blog January 6, 2013:

https://nancy-motheroffive.blogspot.com/search?q=teeth

 

My jaw is hurting me.  I had a root canal a while back and it got abscessed and I had to have an awful thing called an apicoectomy.  Look it up if you are interested- it is too yucky for even me to explain.  I got my teeth cleaned last week (great hygiene by the way) and complained about the jaw/ tooth pain.  Looks like the root canal is infected again- which is not supposed to happen.  So I am a bit depressed about that.  I am on antibiotics and hope that will clear it up.  But I really doubt it.  I am not sure I can go through another apicoectomy.  Oh my.  Whatever.

 

Now, fast forward a bit.   That tooth that had the root canal ended up coming out and I got an implant on the bottom.   The implant was sore and had pus, but the oral surgeon who saw it (I think it was Dr Theberge) took ex-rays and said it was fine.

 

About a year ago I went to my regular dentist who also said that it was fine.

 

Only when I went to Dr Han, and had him press on it with a cotton swab, was I believed.  Pus came out.  Apparently pus does not show up in ex rays.

 

The crown on the implant was removed and Dr Han did some bone grafting in hopes of re applying the implant and crown.

 

There’s more, but the rest is all information that Dr Han is familiar with.

 

Ultimately the implant post was removed and I have been in a lot of pain since then.   

 

At my latest visit to Dr Han he discovered that the teeth on both sides of where the implant was are loose.  Probably too loose for me to have a bridge made.

 

I am convinced that the buccal tie that can be seen in this picture is the cause of the loose teeth.  The tie exerts a lot of pressure on my gums and teeth.   

 

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment