Thursday, July 22, 2021

Sometimes life is so unfair

 For a few months now I have been watching two friends I know through La Leche League as they are dying.   Both from cancer, but different types.    It's sad.  It's unfair.   It's awful It's life.

I know we all have to die.   But the reality of it is not very pretty.  Sometimes it is expected- like when my 99 year old mother in law died four years ago.  Sometimes it is a total shock, violent to the senses and heartbreaking- like when my brother died in an accident 20 years ago.

Then today, just this evening, I learned that another friend is terribly ill.   She has T-cell lymphoma.   She is in the hospital with a picc line and is being treated for complications of lactic acidosis.  She is anticipating Chemo and radiation.

She is the same age as my own daughter, which somehow makes it harder for me to understand and face.   She has two sons from her first marriage who are adults now.  I met her when they were babies. And she has two beautiful little girls who are 6 and 4 (maybe).  She's been married this time for 10 years.  I was at her wedding.

The pandemic is not over.  Restrictions are being lifted, but I think it is too soon.   People are still refusing the get the vaccine.  My friends and family are all vaccinated though.   Two friends that I know of have lost their mothers to COVID.   Another friend's mother died of unknown causes- she was found dead on the floor in her house.

All I can do is be a good person.  Be kind and caring and loving, and hope that it matters.


Full Moon in the clouds



Little purple flower in my garden




2 comments:

  1. Just learned that a homeschooling friend my age was diagnosed with idiopathic lung cancer. 7 weeks from onset of symptoms (they thought it was pneumonia at first), and she's on supplemental oxygen. Second daughter just married, first grandchild born last week. Youngest daughter (she has 6) in high school. Life is so short and uncertain. I told my husband to go ahead and buy that camper van he's been eyeing. Seems crazy to wait, at this point...

    ReplyDelete