Thursday, November 5, 2020

2000 and 2020

In 2000 I was an election official.   My son Darcy was a page- a history class assignment (I think).

My older son, Morgan was voting for the first time.

It was a long and exhausting day, but I felt satisfied as a good citizen.   After the polling place where I was working had closed, we election officials had to stay and make sure that the numbers matched.   We had to see that there were the same number of votes and there were people who had signed in.

I went home and went to bed knowing that I would learn who had won when I got up.

When I got up, there was Morgan.  He had been watching TV all night.  He told me that the news people were trying to figure things out on white boards and nobody knew who had won. 

The decision was ultimately decided in favor of George W Bush.

There was a lot of controversy and ultimately was made that Bush was to be the new president.  It took over a month.

Al Gore won the popular vote but Bush won the electoral college votes


Candidate    Party   Electoral Votes  Popular Votes

George W. Bush  Republican  271-  50,456,062

Albert Gore, Jr  .Democratic  266-  50,996,582

   2000 election final count









2020 as of 1:00 pm Eastern Time November 5, 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment